I’ve been doing this survey every year since 2003. By this point, I can’t really help but feel compelled to do it around New Year’s Eve, as if I owe my future self this condensed version of my year. Let’s do this!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
God, what DIDN’T I do this year that I’d never done before? Briefly, I went to Spain (where I did all sorts of things I’d never done before, but hey, what happens in Spain stays in Spain), I tried some drugs, and come New Year’s Eve, I will have gone to my first rave. What an action-packed year.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I’ve even made New Year’s resolutions since 2003. But this year, I think I will. I really want to be more proactive about my future and my health. I also want to start going to the gym more often (along with the rest of the world), because I really cannot handle all of the unnecessary weight that has been collecting around my torso (with the exception of the weight that has gone to my boobs. That weight can stay).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, no one close. But I do know quite a few of my peers who have popped out babies this year. Creeeeepy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but someone close to me did try to commit suicide. I’m still a little fucked up over it, to be honest.
5. What countries did you visit?
Spain and England! Hurrah!
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A full-time job with health benefits. Oh my god, LIFE.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
No one particular date, per se, but Halloween weekend will probably stick around in my memory, because that was when Chris and I had an epic reconciliation.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Mmm. I’m proud that I managed to be un-lazy enough to even apply to go to Spain (and then go!), I’m proud about being balls-y enough to break up with Chris and attempt the single life (even though I was pretty pathetic at being single, I can acknowledge that), and I’m proud about getting the one and only work study job that I applied for. Woo!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Fuck, this past semester was a pretty big fucking fail. FUCK FALL SEMESTERS!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Dude, don’t even get me started. Though I will say this: boys don’t know how EASY they have it with their genitalia. They don’t have this huge fucking opening to their body that is susceptible to all sorts of ailments, all of which I have suffered. And I think that’s about as close to TMI as I will go.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Ticket to Vegas, woo! Not to mention all of the delicious, delicious food I devoured in Spain. Ahhh, Spain.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’m just going to echo what I wrote last year: “You know, every year, I’ve always thought this was a stupid question to ask. Because you know, who the fuck cares?”
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Chris, post-break-up, let’s just be real. And, mmm, a few other people who will remain anonymous.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
SPAIN. SPAIN SPAIN SPAIN. And also, getting back together with Chris.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
All of the rave-esque music I got really hooked on this year, as well as most songs by Passion Pit. Oh and probably Pitbull – Calle Ocho, just because that song was fucking EVERYWHERE.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
About the same.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Fatter, but barely. I’m about 5 lbs. from 100!
iii. richer or poorer?
…I don’t want to talk about it. It’ll just make me depressed.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had tried to stay single for longer. But at the same time, I just really love Chris. Fucking around just wasn’t worth potentially losing the one person I’ve ever really loved. And blah blah blah, yes, I’m aware that that was disgustingly cheesy.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating. Story of my life.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I napped and played The Beatles Rock Band all day. I think at some point I also went to my sister’s boyfriend’s place, where we smoked and watched The Hangover.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Was already in love.
23. How many one night stands?
Hahahahaha. I’ve never really been able to answer this question until now. Technically one, unless making out counts, in which case…plenty.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Well, the last Top Chef was probably the best season yet, but I’ve also really been enjoying the new season of House. How I Met Your Mother and Law and Order:SVU will always be my top TV staples though.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Sort of. I don’t really hate anyone, but I do generally dislike a few.
26. What was the best book you read?
Well, I read a few books this year, but none of them are really worth mentioning.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Passion Pit, Phoenix, Metric and Barcelona were definitely my favorites this year.
28. What did you want and get?
Everything. I got a job, a trip to Spain, a one-night stand, and I got my boyfriend back. I don’t normally ever want specific material things.
29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing. Like I said, I got pretty much everything I wanted.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Hangover. Ahahahaha.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Hahah. Well, since I turned 21 and started celebrating my birthday at exactly midnight, I ended up spending the rest of my birthday vomiting everything and anything I tried to drink or consume. 12 hours of vomiting, no joke. I might have had alcohol poisoning for all I know, and then I ended up spending the next couple of days sore from being bent over and gagging into a toilet for the entire day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If only I hadn’t spent so much money on food, I could have gone to Paris or Ibiza after my time in Spain. Oh, regret!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Knee-high brown suede boots and my leather jacket everyday. A lot of bandeaus and backless tops too.
34. What kept you sane?
You mean WHO kept me sane: Ashley, Isabel and Chris.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you want the most?
Goddamn, Ian Somerhalder. I want that man all over me.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
This is loosely tied with politics, so I’d have to say the fucking protestors at Berkeley stirred me quite a bit. Though I am pissed off about the budget cuts, I do believe that the protests over them are pretty childish and frivolous and alienate more people than they inspire. Don’t get me wrong, I used to have a lot of support for the protestors and their case, but I take offense to the idea that anyone who doesn’t side with them is a rich, white kid who was born into privilege, or otherwise an ignoramus who is a sheep to the political system in place. I’m not rich and I’m not ok with all of the decisions that the Regents have made, but I’m also not going to run around pulling fire alarms and disrupting other students from being students just to fuck the system up.
37. Who did you miss?
Chris. Of course. As always.
38. Who are cool new people you met?
My roommates, and most of my friends from Spain. Hurrah.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
Again, I’m going to have to echo what I said last year: “Don’t buy things on credit, because that shit will FUCK you up.” Yeah, I’m still pretty fucked on credit, hatemylife.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“1, 2, WOOP WOOP!”